[darcs-users] Re: Wishlist: execute permissions

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sat Nov 27 19:41:00 UTC 2004

On 2004-11-26, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 09:19:09AM +0100, Norbert Nemec wrote:
>> I do not really like the idea of distinguishing by name. Python files,
>> for example, always have the ending ".py", but only some of them should
>> be executable as a script. Also, by convention, many sh-script files do
>> not have the ending ".sh"
>>
>> The first line of a script: "#!..." is much more meaningful.
>
> Hmmm.  Adding a flag to tell darcs to make files beginning with #!
> executable sounds like a viable possibility.  It wouldn't muck up the
> repositories (as a patch type would), and we could always remove it later
> if we add support for versioning the execute bit.  Although executable
> scripts don't *need* to begin with #!, it's almost always a good idea, and
> almost never hurts.  I think this may be a case where the less general
> solution (hardcoding a flag to look for #!) may be cleaner and easier on
> users, and probably will serve almost everyone's needs.
>
> --make-poundbang-scripts-executable, perhaps?

I like this because it's probably going to 'just work' at least 95% of
the time. For my own work, it think it would cover 100% of the cases I
care about it.

I would definitely like for it be something I could set up in my
personal prefs and not worry about it anymore. Beyond that, making this
an 'init' option seems to be another good place to support it.
Here's my suggestion for a name:

--set-shebang-scripts-executable

It's just a little shorter than your own solution. :)

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/