[darcs-users] readline.h no such file or directory

Anders Höckersten chucky at dtek.chalmers.se
Sat Nov 27 21:27:00 UTC 2004

Dominic Steinitz wrote:

>On Saturday 27 Nov 2004 4:16 pm, Anders Höckersten wrote:
>

>>Dominic Steinitz wrote:
>>

>>>I tried installing darcs but failed with the following.
>>>
>>>Can you cc me in on any responses as I am not subscribed to the list.
>>>
>>>Thanks, Dominic.
>>>
>>>[dom at tility darcs-1.0.0]$ make
>>>Rebuild dependencies ...
>>>ghc  -cpp  -package unix -package parsec -O -funbox-strict-fields  -Wall
>>>-Werror -package util -I. -DHAVE_CURSES -c Workaround.hs
>>>In file included from /home/dom/tmp/ghc4872.hc:7:
>>>/usr/lib/ghc-6.2.1/include/HsReadline.h:5:31: readline/readline.h: No such
>>>file or directory
>>>/usr/lib/ghc-6.2.1/include/HsReadline.h:6:30: readline/history.h: No such
>>>file or directory
>>>make: *** [Workaround.o] Error 1
>>>[dom at tility darcs-1.0.0]$
>>>

>>That's a problem with your GHC installation I believe. Specifically, GHC
>>needs readline, but cannot find its include files. Do you have readline
>>properly installed? How did you install GHC?
>>
>>Anders
>>

>Anders,
>
>I don't seem to have readline.h or history.h in that directory. I installed
>from ghc-6.2.1-1.i386.rpm off the Haskell website. Shouldn't configure have
>complained? Do I need the Haskell sources to use darcs? I didn't see that on
>the darcs site.
>
>I've managed to get the sources I need without darcs but I thought I'd better
>
>Dominic.

I obviously failed to communicate that this is a problem with GHC, _NOT_
with Darcs. GHC needs a properly installed version of readline to work
correctly, and of course, without a working GHC you can't compile Darcs.

GHC is looking for readline.h and history.h, which should be located
under /usr/include/readline/ or /usr/local/include/readline. The RPM for
GHC is supposed to have checked that these files are available, but it
might have missed it. Check to see that the files are there. If not, you
will have to download readline and install it. Then try compiling Darcs
again.

You should probably also upgrade to ghc 6.2.2 if you can, it contains
many bugfixes. Also, what operating system are you running?

Anders