[darcs-users] readline.h no such file or directory

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun Nov 28 12:43:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 10:27:00PM +0100, Anders Hckersten wrote:
> Dominic Steinitz wrote:
> >I don't seem to have readline.h or history.h in that directory. I
> >installed from ghc-6.2.1-1.i386.rpm off the Haskell website. Shouldn't
> >configure have complained? Do I need the Haskell sources to use darcs? I
> >didn't see that on the darcs site.
>
> I obviously failed to communicate that this is a problem with GHC, _NOT_
> with Darcs. GHC needs a properly installed version of readline to work
> correctly, and of course, without a working GHC you can't compile Darcs.

True, but the darcs configure script still should test to make sure the ghc
works right.  It does check that ghc can be use to compile, but I guess our
tests don't require readline.h.

readline isn't distributed together with ghc because it is GPLed, which
means you can't link it with non-GPL code, and the ghc people don't want to
deal with those license hassles.
http://www.darcs.net