[darcs-users] Developer machine spec for Linux kernel w/ darcs

Tim O'Callaghan tim.ocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 11:24:31 UTC 2004

Same problem here, but with the GCC mainline tree.  I thought it might
have be something to do with the tailor.py script, but after reading
your report i see we have the same problem. I left a tailor/darcs
session syncing with the GCC mainline, come back 8 hours later my box
is dying, no response from it. So I think, ok, it will get over this.
14 hours later its dead and needs rebooting.

Quite a feat for a revision control system!

I think it may be time to learn haskel and join the devel list. Is
there somewhere in the codebase that can be pointed to as the culprit
for  this memory usage? This kind of memory usage smacks of
malloc(100);fork(); or some kind of recursion gone mad.

I mean it's using a *scary* amount of  memory. The GCC mainline
codebase, is about 190 meg, about 24,600 files. What kind of state
information is darcs keeping that it needs over 750 meg of ram?

Sorry for the rant, but my questions still stand.:
If this is a known problem, where is the problem?
What kind of state information does darcs need to keep that it eats memory.

Tim.