[darcs-users] Best way to create a remote repo

Yamagata Yoriyuki yoriyuki_yamagata at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Nov 30 17:41:45 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm new to darcs, so I think I am doing something stupid, but ...

From: David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>
Subject: Re: [darcs-users] Best way to create a remote repo
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:52:38 -0500

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 04:25:34PM +0000, Pedro Melo Cunha wrote:
> > What's the recommended way to create a remote repository, that will be
> > used by others?
> >
> > Should I just:
> >    mkdir somedir
> >    cd somedir
> >    darcs init
> >
> > and then
> >    cd localrepo
> >    darcs push user at remote_server:somedir
> >
> > Is this the recommended way to create a remote repository?
>
> It works fine, but for large repos will be very memory-intensive.  You're
> better off if you can run a darcs get on the server.  If that's not
> possible (e.g. you aren't running an ssh server at home or are behind a
> firewall), you could just scp a repository to the server.  It's less
> bandwidth-efficient than the push method, but far more memory-efficient.

Does it really work?  I scp-ed my repository to a web server.  After
that, when I tried darcs get, I got

$ darcs get -v http://shinji.sourceforge.jp/repos/shinji/
Getting the inventory...
Copying patches...
Copying 20041128201650-b6c59-6731c0df805e48e915c8d0795b393123e549f87e.gz
Applying patches to the "working" directory...

darcs failed:  Couldn't read patch Mon Nov 29 05:16:50 JST 2004  yoriyuki at users.sourceforge.jp
  * Initial revision

I'm using 1.0.0rc2 (the one in Debian/Sarge).  I'd appreciate any
suggestion.

P.S.

It seems that specifying repository by URL causes the problem.  I got
the same error for darcs get file:///....(path).... from the local
machine, but darcs get ....(path).... create a new repo. without a
problem.

--
Yamagata Yoriyuki