[darcs-users] branching

Aggelos Economopoulos aoiko at cc.ece.ntua.gr
Tue Oct 5 00:22:39 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 00:22, Keith Irwin wrote:
> Folks--
>
> Just curious: but is there a discussion about how you'd go about
> "branching" with darcs? I'm kind of looking for a best-practice sort
> of thing, with maybe a run-through example such as you might find in
> the O'Reilly book about subversion.
>
> Haven't really found anything on the wiki, nor in my cursory search of
> the email archives.
>
> My assumption is that a "branch" is simple a copy (get) from a
> self-designated central repo,

Yes, though nobody forces you to have a star topology (i.e. with /one/
'central' repo). No, I've never tried keeping more than one "bleeding edge"
repos for a significant amount of (development) time, so I don't know if that
works well.

> but then I quickly get messed up
> thinking about how you keep track of these branches outside of knowing
> where all these check outs reside.  If I have a branch on a laptop and
> the laptop crashes, I'm sunk, eh?

And if you have another branch on your desktop and it's disk crashes how are
you any better? I suppose that, if only for your convenience, you'ld keep all
your repos in sync (with push/pull or rsync), on all the machines you use for
hacking, which is a more optimistic answer to your question.

<insert canonical comment about keeping backups>

> Do you do a sort of subversion recommended thing in your "main" repo:
>
>      myrepo/myproject/trunk
>      myrepo/myproject/branches
>      myrepo/myproject/tags
>
> and then just copy stuff from one to the other as needed?

Heh, that's a  poll question :-)

Personally I use:

~/devel/myproj/myproj
~/devel/myproj/myproj-mybranch
~/devel/myproj/myproj-tmp
etc.

(myproj-mybranch is redundant in this context, but helps with easily
identifying the contents of the repo if you move/copy it someplace else)

HTH,
Aggelos