[darcs-users] branching

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.net
Tue Oct 5 02:40:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 05:32:30PM -0700, Keith Irwin wrote:
> Well, I'm experimenting. ;)  The thing is, I might work on, say, four
> machines: my laptop, one of two workstations at work, and one at home.
>  With a central repo, I can always checkin to the repo before I switch
> to a different machine, then update from the repo before I start work
> on a new machine.

All you have to remember is that with darcs, checkin is split into two
steps: record and push.  So just push before logging off (darcs will
even remember where to push), and pull when logging on.

Except that's not really good enough, in my experience, because it
forces you to record changes when switching machines.  I would recommend
keeping a working repo on the central machine, and syncing to it with
rsync or unison (better, because you'll have fewer problems when you
accidentally edit on different machines without syncing).

> Poll?

That's how we decide things around here.  For example, you are
dangerously close to being voted off the mailing list.

> Maybe the wiki needs a "how I use darcs" section.

I think this is generally agreed, and hopefully we can collectively pull
something together for the 1.0 release.

Andrew