[darcs-users] darcs replace mis-documentation?

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.net
Tue Oct 5 02:57:34 UTC 2004

I just tried out darcs replace.  The docs say

    When using darcs replace, the ``new'' token may not already appear
    in the file--if that is the case, the replace change would not be
    invertible. This limitation holds both on the working copy of the
    file and on the already recorded version of the file.

But the part about the working copy doesn't seem to be true:

    % darcs init
    Successfully initialized repository!
    % echo this is my file >> a
    % darcs record -m this -a -l
    Finished recording patch 'this'
    % echo that is a fact >> a
    % darcs replace this that a
    % darcs whatsnew
    {
    hunk ./a 2
     this is my file
    +this is a fact
    replace ./a [A-Za-z_0-9] this that

    }

This doesn't seem like a problem in principle, so if it works I guess
that line should be removed from the docs.

Also, it would be nice, since "a replace patch always is recorded before
any manual changes", if whatsnew showed it that way.  Continuing from
above:

    % darcs record -m thisthat -a -l
    Finished recording patch 'thisthat'
    % darcs annotate --patch thisthat