[darcs-users] Re: Re: Re: Hang on pull

Lee Cantey lcantey at pantasys.com
Tue Oct 5 15:40:14 UTC 2004

David Roundy wrote:

> Unfortunately, darcs uses an algorithm that is exponential in the number
> of conflicting patches in one "set" of conflicts, which causes trouble in
> precisely this situation.  If upstream modified an entire file (or almost
> an entire file) in one patch, and your 25 primitive patches were all to
> the
> same file, that would explain your trouble.  I suspect there may be no
> other solution than to record again your changes after merging by hand.
> :(

Hmmm, where am I going wrong in the following senario?  I decided to start
with the latest vendor source and apply my changes.  As a shortcut I wanted
to pull a few simple patches from my old repository that didn't have an
file modifications involved.  Darcs changes shows:

Old repo:
Additional Styles (only file adds in a subdirectory from the vendor)
Tag
Initial import of old vendor drop

New repo:
Initial import of new vendor drop

On the following pull after I answer 'y' to the patch it never comes back.

darcs pull --patches="Name of file add patch" ../oldrepo
Sat Sep  4 09:20:49 PDT 2004  email
  * Initial old version
Shall I pull this patch? (1/2) [ynWvxqadjk?] w

Sat Sep  4 15:13:07 PDT 2004  email
  * Additional styles
Shall I pull this patch? (2/2) [ynWvxqadjk?] y

Thanks,
Lee