[darcs-users] optimization potential?

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Tue Oct 5 16:52:30 UTC 2004

Hi,

I was experimenting with 'setpref test' (which btw is poorly
documented, but perhaps it should go into the unwritten 'best
practices' chapter?), and when I later unpull'ed my test settings, it
seemed to take a long time.

So I strace'd a bit, and discovered that 'darcs unpull' seems to
traverse the entire tree below the current working directory - which
happened to be my home dir.

In other words, I'm not going to complain that it apparently stat64's
every version-controlled file seven times, and lstat64's them twelve
times, but just note that it applies these operations to everything
else thrice and once, respectively.

I'm not sure it's a real problem (unpull isn't that common, I guess),
and I haven't looked too closely at the other commands, but it seems
to me there are a few seconds to be shaved off here, if anybody
bothers.

Just thought you might like to know. :-)

-kzm

PS: $ darcs --version
    1.0.0rc2