[darcs-users] darcs problems w/ large archives?

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Mon Oct 11 01:16:42 UTC 2004

Hi Erik,

On Oct 10, 2004, at 4:26 PM, Erik Schnetter wrote:

> On Sunday 10 October 2004 22:39, Kevin Ollivier wrote:
>> Anyways, what I've done is gone into my CVS repository, did a "darcs
>> initialize", then a "darcs add -r *" to add everything in the
>> wxWidgets tree (it's rather large), and then "darcs record --all"
>> which produced a 150MB patch in my _darcs/patches directory. I did
>> this on Mac OS X.3. It took quite a long time (possibly over an
>> hour), but I'm sure only the initial patch has this issue. Then, I
>> started up Apache and created an alias as in the Getting Started
>> instructions. So far so good.
>
> Out of principle, I would suggest not to import the current state of
> the
> CVS repository into darcs, but also the complete history.  The darcs
> wiki contains instructions on how to do so.  This has the added
> advantage that there is not one, but many patches, and each individual
> patch just might be small enough to fit into memory.

Thanks for the help! Actually, I did look at this in the wiki, and your
reply actually made me remember a question I had about it. Since the
script 'converts' to darcs, does it remove the CVS repository
information or leave it in place? Since I eventually will have to work
with CVS to make and commit the final patch, I'd like to have darcs and
CVS working on the master repository. If the conversion script leaves
the CVS info alone, then I'll go ahead and do this, which should
hopefully resolve the problem.

Thanks,

Kevin