[darcs-users] Re: dealing with developmental clutter

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Tue Oct 12 19:03:36 UTC 2004

Taral wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 11:57:18AM -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>
>>so, other than enumerating every single file in boring, are there any
>>options for reducing the clutter?  If my only option is boring, are
>>there any options which will let you see which files and boring ignores
>>in which file boring matches on so you can detect when you have messed
>>up a regular expression?
>

> I really suggest to most people that they manually "darcs add" files
> that they want to include in the repository. --look-for-adds is a neat
> shortcut, but as you can see, it has severe shortcomings.

sound advice but I also trip up on that.  In order for me to not forget
that a file is there, I need to either have a clear indication of its
presence or enter it into darcs immediately on creation.  I may be
reluctant to do this because of the fact that I frequently throwaway
experimental paths and I would rather not clutter the repository with
dead remnants (unless Davis planning on doing dead branch pruning).

Sounds like this is where configuration management and bad memories
don't play nice together.

---eric