[darcs-users] Re: post-1.0: "isolated directories"?

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Oct 16 15:23:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 11:37:02PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 07:10:54AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> > Argh, but unfortunately there will be issues to be ironed out with regard
> > to reversibility of changes.  If the metarepo only holds the patch *names*
> > of the subrepos, then there might be difficulties in (for example) the
> > rollback of a patch that was removed from a subrepo.
>
> Hrm, but when you remove a patch, you don't actually remove the file in
> _darcs/patches/ -- you could *require* it to remain present for subrepos,
> and then you'd have enough information to do rollbacks I think. You'd have
> to be careful to remember what the context of the patch file was, though.

Yes indeed (we'd have to be careful about context).  Probably the thing to
do would be to convert it into a patch bundle (which contains its own
context, and could use a better name).  Supporting patch bundles in a
repository has been on the vague todo list for some time, since it's a
prerequisite for properly supporting signed patches (since a signed patch
obviously could never have its context changed.

I suppose we could add a _darcs/patchbundles/ directory, which would hold
patch bundles.  Then unpulling or unrecording could create a patch bundle
and stick it in there.  We could then add a command to apply a locally held
patch (which would be held in _darcs/patchbundles), which would look in
that directory for a patchbundle containing the desired patch.  The user
interface could be a pain, since there will likely be dependencies between
the patch bundles, but there isn't a linear order. :(

Coming up with a name and interface for a command that undoes an unpull is
not something I look forward to...
http://www.abridgegame.org