[darcs-users] Re: Cheap branches (was: Re: post-1.0: "isolated directories"?)

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sun Oct 17 18:04:03 UTC 2004

Anthony Towns wrote:
> Hrm, I took the opportunity to add
>
>    http://www.scannedinavian.org/DarcsWiki/BestPractices
>
> and included some babble. Maybe others would like to add questions
> or improve answers or just add some links to other threads that are
> enlightening?

How should you handle version numbering and releasing?

Tag your repository with the version number of your release.

Q: why not make release tagging an auptmatic or semi-automatic part of
darcs dist.  I never remember to tag until it is too late.  this also
implies that tags that are part of dist always move to the head of the
revision history.  Unless one generates a revision number every single
time you find a mistake and update the distribution.

Which then raises the idea of automatic version numbering.  personally,
others like to go for the pre, post, No.No. schema.

---eric