[darcs-users] Re: post-1.0: "isolated directories"?

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Sun Oct 17 18:54:11 UTC 2004

> > addsubrepo ./foorepo
> > rmrepo ./foorepo
> > subrepoversion ./foorepo [CONTEXT]

> This is supercool.  But is 'darcs addsubrepo' any different from
> 'darcs add --isolate'?

It's mostly in implementation: --isolate breaks the clean model that
darcs has for repositories; addsubrepo builds on that clean model.

The main functionality difference is that subrepos can be distributed:
you can have subrepos that are being pulled from different sources
(see my Apache example a few messages back).  That's more difficult to
do with --isolate.

(In case you don't see my point: think what you can get by combining a
CVS to Darcs converter with the subrepo capability.)

                                        Juliusz