[darcs-users] strange bug with Windows share mounted on Mac OS X

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Oct 19 10:49:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 10:57:58AM +0200, Martin Schaffner wrote:
> I've narrowed down a bug that I could only reproduce on a Windows shared
> volume mounted on Mac OS X. If I unpack the attachment and execute
> trigger_bug.txt, I get:
>
> host:/Volumes/WIN/test me$ tar xzf testcase.tar.gz
> lt1180w:/Volumes/WIN/test me$ bash trigger_bug.txt
>
> Fri Oct 15 10:25:14 CEST 2004  tester
>   * two
> Shall I pull this patch? (1/1) [ynWvxqadjk?] y
>
> Fail: file-0: renameFile: resource busy (Device busy)

I think I've fixed this.  Can you recompile and test with the latest darcs?
Make sure you get the change

Tue Oct 19 06:21:01 EDT 2004  David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>
  * don't mmap on windows-semantics filesystems.

This change makes darcs check before mmapping whether it is possible to
delete an open file.  It's an ugly hack, but seems necesary, since there's
no other way I'm aware of to find out whether it's safe to mmap files.  :(

Actually, it doesn't yet do the check for all mmap instances, just the one
that is most problematic, which is when dealing with the actual files.
Patches are still mmapped, which may lead to problems when running unrecord
or something.  Assuming this fix works, I may update the reading of the
patches to do a similar trick.
http://www.abridgegame.org