[darcs-users] tag and release

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Tue Oct 19 13:38:21 UTC 2004

from the best practices page:

How should you handle version numbering and releasing?

Tag your repository with the version number of your release. Run "darcs
dist" to create a source tarball.

---

as I think more about this process, I realize one possible source of
disconnect between my mental processes and the way folks have been
treating tags.

Historically, tags seem to be used as a way of marking the current
"state" of a repository.  They are used by developers as a way of
remembering the state.  In contrast, once I have released a package
(i.e. 1.2.3) in my mind, I am working on 1.2.4 and that the current code
base is slowly taking shape until it is ready for release.

So, if I had my druthers, I would like an incrementing tag on my
repository head and the ability to trigger an increment with an with
option on the dist command.

  darcs dist -d raging_dormouse-%tag --final

oh yes, a little string substitution for the tag would be useful as well.

it's no big deal with my ideas aren't found useful, I don't use tags in
any revision control system because I inevitably screw them up and have
learned to live without them.

---eric