[darcs-users] tag and release

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Oct 19 18:52:24 UTC 2004

> So, if I had my druthers, I would like an incrementing tag on my
> repository head and the ability to trigger an increment with an with
> option on the dist command.

There's nothing preventing you from having multiple tags with the same
name.  A user doing |darcs get --tag| will get the latest tag with
that name; you'll need to use |darcs get --to-match| with a hash in
order to get an older snapshot.

A better solution is to use tags such as

  hello-world-0.3-20041019
  hello-world-0.3-alpha-3
  hello-world-0.3-broken-12

and use a final version of

  hello-world-0.3

In that way, a user that does a |darcs get --tag=hello-world-0.3| will
get the latest tag of 0.3.  In order to get 0.3-final and fail if it
doesn't exist yet, you'd need to use --tag='^hello-world-0.3$'.

I can't help wondering whether you shouldn't be branching instead of tagging.

                                        Juliusz