[darcs-users] Re: I wish for mutable patches.

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Wed Oct 20 16:00:26 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-20, zooko at zooko.com <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> Now I very much want to use darcs in the same way -- if I record a patch, and
> then I push that patch to zooko.com/repos/shtoom/zookobranch, and then I find a
> bug in that patch, I don't want Anthony, or anyone else, to see my original
> buggy patch!  So nowadays what I do is I rerecord the patch locally (as above),
> then I ssh into zooko.com, unpull the buggy patch, then return to my local repo
> and push the rerecorded patch.

This alternative solution makese sense to me:

Only allow re-recording of patches that haven't left the repo. Otherwise
it seems overly confusing to have multiple versions of the same patch
out in the wild.

Doing otherwise seems a bit like trying to undo something once you've
said it in public.

	Mark

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   mark at summersault.com     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .