[darcs-users] Meaningful exit-codes for scripting?

Norbert Nemec Norbert.Nemec.list at gmx.de
Thu Oct 21 13:02:00 UTC 2004

Hi there,

I'm using darcs in scripts to keep track of external CVS repositories,
basically doing:
	cvs something checkout
	cd something
	darcs initialize
	darcs record -m cvs-$DATE
	darcs tag -m cvs-$DATE
once, and lateron:
	cd something
	cvs update
	darcs record -m cvs-$DATE
	darcs tag -m cvs-$DATE
of course, the details are a bit more sophisticated. The goal is, that I can
use the power of darcs to keep track of my own changes and patches for a
large number of independant projects without having write access to those
CVS repos.

Now: if "cvs update" did not do any changes, the "darcs record" will not do
anything either, telling me "No changes!". The "darcs tag" command, though,
cannot see this and will create a tag in any case. The easiest solution that
I can see would be to have darcs give an exitcode!=0 if "darcs record" did
not do anything.

Any ideas about this?

Ciao,
Nobbi