[darcs-users] Re: Multi-user permissions

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Fri Oct 22 12:15:57 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-22, Dan Margolis <krispykringle at gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hiya folks,
>
> I wanted to start off by giving David and other contributors a real
> compliment. Darcs is great.
>
> Well, so I just started using it recently, for a few personal projects.
> But now I'm thinking of using it for a small multi-person project, and
> am trying to figure out the best way to go around this. I suppose we're
> going to want a centralized repository; e-mailing patches to each other
> seems a bit clunky. So what I did so far is create a repository on my
> server and give my partners logins. I made us all members of a group,
> and set the repository permissions to give read/write access to us all,
> and set the SGID bit to preserve group ownership.

There are really lots of options for Centralized development with darcs.
Ironically, you can get a lot of ideas by reviewing the Centralized
Development page for Arch:

http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/Centralized_20Development

As I understand, many of the same concepts apply, but the tla/darcs command
differ.

The simplest solution to me seems to be to give everyone an ssh accessible
account on the same machine and use the file-system permissions to allow
read/write access to all those users (by putting them all in the same
group).

I don't know if this will address your user-only 'rw' permissions issue.

(Incidently, it would be great if someone wanted to start a "Centralized
Development" page on our own Wiki. :)

	Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/