[darcs-users] Clever idea for storing binaries, comments?

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Fri Oct 22 15:01:52 UTC 2004

> Mostly the fact that it's so heavily interlaced with the PRCS stuff. At
> least that's what I saw the last time I looked at it... Not to mention
> that bsdiff performs _far_ better.

Xdelta is fast and uses reasonable amounts of memory.

Bsdiff is slow and uses unreasonable amounts of memory (17 times the
size of the file, if memory serves).  However, in the particular case
of executables, it generates patches that are much smaller than those
generated by anything else, including Xdelta.

(Bsdiff is an amazingly clever piece of software.)

Bsdiff uses a licence that is not compatible with the GPL.  While I
happen to prefer the Bsdiff licence to the GPL, the fact is that Darcs
is GPL, and hence cannot use Bsdiff.

                                        Juliusz