[darcs-users] how to figure out which patch depends on a certain patch

David Brown darcs at davidb.org
Fri Oct 22 17:03:00 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 01:30:24PM -0300, zooko at zooko.com wrote:

> I was just trying to unrecord a patch, and darcs said "skipping
> depended-upon patch".  I wondered which other patch was depending on this
> patch.  So I made a new darcs repo and pull -v'ed.  I hit 'w' for all
> patches except the one in question -- I hit 'n' for that one.  Then I hit
> 'w' for all subsequent patches and watched the "k/n patch number in this
> command" output.  A-ha!  Darcs didn't prompt me to pull patch #80, so
> that must be the one that depends.

Several times, I have found repos where I couldn't unrecord a patch,
because it was depended upon.  However, pulling the repo did allow me to
skip the patch I wanted to unrecord, and still allowed later patches to
apply.  Perhaps this problem is fixed in a newer version than I was running
at the time, but it does feel like sometimes it is overconservative on what
depends on what.

Dave