[darcs-users] How is merge supposed to work?

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Fri Oct 22 19:06:39 UTC 2004

> We have conflicts in the following files:
> ./code.c
> Finished applying...

> My question at this point is very simple: now what?  ;)

Fix the conflict in code.c.

> "conflict markers" without understanding what that means;

A conflict maker is a special sequence that programs such as CVS,
diff3 or darcs insert in your source files to mark the place where
they couldn't resolve a conflict.  You won't know them from RCS, as
RCS never causes conflicts due to file locking.  (That's where the C
in CVS comes from.)

In darcs, conflict markers look like this:

common line
v v v v v v v
Text from branch 1
*************
Text from branch 2
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
common line

Hence, you can find a conflict marker fairly reliably by searching for
`v v v v'.

> However the working dir is wrong (in the sense it's not equal to that in
> repo1) and I don't see how darcs will help me identify the conflicts.

$ emacs code.c
C-s v v v v RET                  (search for a conflict marker)
hack, hack, hack                 (fix the conflict)
$ grep 'v v v v' code.c          (make sure there are no conflict markers left)
$ darcs record -m 'Fix merge conflict.'

                                        Juliusz