[darcs-users] Clever idea for storing binaries, comments?

Taral taral at taral.net
Fri Oct 22 20:07:19 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 05:17:27PM +1300, Quag wrote:
> VCDiff is documented in RFC 3284: "The VCDIFF Generic Differencing and
> Compression Data Format"

Ah, yes. VCDIFF. Useful, but xdelta3 has to extend it in a number of
incompatible ways to make it truly useful, unfortunately.

> :) I noticed that comparison on the bsdiff site. I haven't had a
> chance to play with it yet to see how it feels. bsdiff seems to have
> rather large memory requirements? Does this end up being a problem?

bsdiff needs some work. It currently uses an O(n log n) suffix array
construction algorithm, which can eat quite a bit of memory on a large
file. rsync-style chunking would probably help quite a bit with that, as
would moving to an O(n) suffix array construction algorithm.

--
Taral <taral at taral.net>
This message is digitally signed. Please PGP encrypt mail to me.