[darcs-users] Multi-user permissions

Michael Conrad conradme at email.uc.edu
Fri Oct 22 23:43:53 UTC 2004

> The problem I have is that the default umask is rw for the owner only,
> so when I or one of my partners adds a file or a patch, it won't be
> readable. So of course, we can change our umask when we log in, but
> that's a bit of a pain.

You could always add group read to your umask in .bashrc (or equivalent),
which doesn't seem like much of a security compromise, and not much effort
either.  (of course, its less of an issue on BSD where each user has their
own group)  You could also play with the sticky bit and directory-suid bit.

> 1) Create a single user and do shared SSH keys. Downside: somewhat
> annoying; also means that if my partners work on my machine, which they
> may, they'll have to either be considerate of each other's files, or log
> on as a different user to make commits.
<snip>
> Downside: means that we have to use a wrapper in
> place of darcs itself.

What about sudo?

Just my two cents.
-Mike