[darcs-users] Multi-user permissions

Dan Margolis krispykringle at gentoo.org
Fri Oct 22 23:53:40 UTC 2004

Michael Conrad wrote:
>>The problem I have is that the default umask is rw for the owner only,
>>so when I or one of my partners adds a file or a patch, it won't be
>>readable. So of course, we can change our umask when we log in, but
>>that's a bit of a pain.
>

> You could always add group read to your umask in .bashrc (or equivalent),
> which doesn't seem like much of a security compromise, and not much effort
> either.  (of course, its less of an issue on BSD where each user has their
> own group)  You could also play with the sticky bit and directory-suid bit.

How would group read be sufficient? If we're sharing a repo, and someone
creates a new file, doesn't darcs want to write to that file when
someone else commits changes to it?

Anyway, I've got it solved. But yes, I was already using the directory
sgid bit. And users have their own groups on Linux, too ;)
--
Dan ("KrispyKringle")
Gentoo Linux Security Coordinator