[darcs-users] a frustrating bug: 'conflicts in pending'

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sat Oct 23 13:34:56 UTC 2004

When my co-worker was taking his first steps with darcs, he quickly ran
into the same trouble I did: "Conflicts in pending". I would like for
darcs to be better at avoiding creating this scenario, and also
recovering from it.

By reviewing my 'pending' file, I could find at least one conflict.
Here's a reduced version of it:

{
adddir ./t
adddir ./t
}

I tried some more this morning to recreate the steps that allow this to
happen and I couldn't do it. In some ways it doesn't matter-- darcs
should be robust. Not only it should it prevent this happening, it
should be able to recover from it anyway.

This "conflict" isn't a conflict at all. The two directives are in
perfect agreement about what needs to happen.

Could darcs possibly check for this case when processing 'pending' and
correct it on the fly? (By removing or ignoring the second identical
directive?)

As a extra measure, darcs could check for a potential conflict /before/
updating the pending file, and refuse to update it in a way that would
cause a conflict it couldn't solve itself.

That at least would give you a hint exact what the command with the
issue/bug was.

It could go a long way to prevent some frustrations, I think.

	Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/