[darcs-users] Suggestion: track patch origin metadata

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Oct 23 16:50:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 03:39:57PM +0200, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 12:46:18PM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> > Darcs seems unique to me with its ability to allow you to "undo" some
> > things. I like this extra trust and freedom given to the user.  However,
> > I think there should be some additional safeguards to prevent data loss,
> > and difficult interactions with other users due to changed patches.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > 2. Don't allow unpulling of patches that originated here.
>
> Darcs doesn't delete unpulled patches from _darcs/patches, so there
> is some hope in such a situation. BTW, is this a feature?

It's sort of a leftover from when I really didn't trust darcs (which was
quite a long time ago).  I'd still say it's in the feature category.  It's
not often useful, but it also doesn't really cost much, and in theory could
save you from serious data loss (caused by recording and then unpulling).

Adding a "reapply" command that reapplies previously unpulled, unrecorded
or rerecorded patches is in my imagination (where most darcs commands
start--the others starting in someone else's imagination).  It'll be a bit
of tedium to get it to work, mostly in the user interface, but I think
it'll be worth it.  On the other things, there are other things like fixing
bugs and finishing my bicycle mittens before it gets seriously cold that
are more important.
http://www.abridgegame.org