[darcs-users] Re: idea: patch grouping

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sun Oct 24 00:27:26 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-23, Martin Schaffner <schaffner at gmx.li> wrote:

> My idea is to enable the regrouping of patchfiles into larger patchfiles:

It seems like darcs already supports something like this:

Many commands have 'match' and 'patch' options. Thus, if you name your
patches consistently, then you can express things like: 'push all the
patches that belong to feature XXX' Because all those patches have names
that match XXX.

Besides having an easier way to rename patches, I like the elegant
simplicity of of using consistent names to group patches.

You also have tagging, and the ability to create diffs between two tags.
That could also be used to express a collection of related patches.

another way to express a distinct feature is to keep it in it's own
repo.

Finally, rerecord can be used to multiple patches and turn them into one
(I believe).

With so many options, I'm not sure yet-another tool will be so helpful.
The complexity of adding it may add additional challenges of it's own.
I'd like more persuasion that the kind of objectives aren't met
sufficientl well with the current options.

	Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/