[darcs-users] How is merge supposed to work?

Miguel Bazdresch darcs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Sun Oct 24 10:37:17 UTC 2004

* Jan Braun <janbraun at gmx.de> [2004-10-24 08:46]:
> Miguel Bazdresch schrob:
>
> > > cp repo1/affected_files repo2/ ; darcs resolve
> >
> > It'd be nice to have that documented. I tried 'darcs resolve' by itself
> > and it didn't resolve the conflict.
>
> It did (at least your previous email indicated it did), it just resolved
> by taking the working copy as the resolution. That's what resolve always
> does. And since without the cp your working copy was in the old patch's
> state, you effectively told darcs "the resolution is ignoring the newer
> patch".

What I gather from Mark's reply is that darcs thought it had resolved
the conflict, but it did so incorrectly.

However, from what you say it looks like I'm grossly misunderstanding
what 'darcs resolve' is supposed to do. From the manual:

"Resolve is used to mark and resolve any conflicts that may exist in a
repository."

which I read to mean: if you have conflicts, use resolve to get darcs to
help you in resolving them. If I'm understanding you correctly, however,
that should be rewritten to say:

"After you have manually resolved all conflicts, run 'darcs resolve' to
let darcs know that the current working copy is correct."

Am I right?

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/