[darcs-users] Re: Binary File Behaviour

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon Oct 25 12:34:15 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-25, Simon Liu <macdeveloper at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a few questions on binary file behaviour.
>
> 1) Does Darcs do any checking of files to see if it is binary or not?
> What happens if a file is binary but is not covered by the binaries
> regexp list?
>
> 2) Does Darcs do any translation/modification of files it considers as
> text or "not-binary"?  Translations might include things like
> end-of-line based on file vs system eol chars.  e.g PC file on Unix.

I figured out the following through some research. In May 2003, there
was not much handling of binary files:
http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2003/000062.html

By December 2003, it looks like things had improved some, based
on this this ChangeLog entry:

  * add support for automatically treating files containing ^Z or '\0' as
    binary.

I have no idea how well this match does for finding binary files in the general
case.

I think we need a 'darcs binary file' page on the wiki to track these
details.

	Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/