[darcs-users] a frustrating bug: 'conflicts in pending'

Matt Van Gundy matt at religionsucks.com
Mon Oct 25 14:24:36 UTC 2004

While there's an open thread on 'conflicts in pending', I have seen it a
few times in my short time with darcs.  Each time, the repo was consistent
and uncorrupted as reported by darcs check and darcs repair.  In addition,
each time I've looked at my pending file, I haven't seen any obvious
conflicts.  I've noticed a common thread.  I never end up with conflicts
in pending until sometime after doing a darcs record -l ... and not
recording the addition of all the files it finds.  All those files end up
in pending, and often, on the next record, I'll get a "Yikes, pending has
conflicts!" message.

It just happened to me so I thought I'd mention the correlation, and
offer my repository to anyone who is interested in trying to find the bug.
The only catch is, I can't post it publicly as it contains work for a
college class.  Email me if you are interested in obtaining a copy.

My command history went something like:
 1299  darcs whatsnew -ls |less
 1300  darcs record -l .         # The fateful record
 1307  make                      # several builds
 # I think, "Hmm, did darcs put those binaries into pending?"
 1315  less ../../_darcs/patches/pending |less  # Yep... oh well
 1317  darcs record              # Yikes, pending has conflicts!
 1320  darcs check               # The repo is consistent!

Also of mention is that I am using 0.9.23 ... (yeah, I should update).

Thanks for everything... I love darcs more every day I use it!
(conflicts in pending notwithstanding ;-)

Matt Van Gundy