[darcs-users] performance: look-for-adds 10x slower for simple case

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon Oct 25 18:49:34 UTC 2004

Hello,

I just experienced some odd performance behavior today with 1.0.0rc3.

I was using 'whatsnew'. As I constructed the command, I thought would be
looking at directories, so I used "darcs whatsnew -ls" to 'look for adds'.
As it turned it, I ended up pointing it at 3 specific files:

darcs whatsnew -ls foo.txt zoo.h boo.pl

Although the files weren't large, this took about 6.6 seconds (using "time").
I dropped the "-l" and the time dropped to 0.6 seconds. (10x faster!)

(All three files had been added, and 2 of the 3 were modified).

The project is new and small and it seems strange that adding
'look-for-adds' should make it take 10x longer for this case.

	Mark

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   mark at summersault.com     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .