[darcs-users] proposal for 'darcs init' flags (was: Re: Patches are immu)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon Oct 25 23:15:20 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-25, Ketil Malde <ketil at ii.uib.no> wrote:
> anselmg at t-online.de (Anselm R. Garbe) writes:
>
>> Allow rerecord only for the last (most recent) patch (and only
>> that patch!) until:
>
>> i)   it has _not_ been pulled from some client or
>
> I think the problem is that darcs doesn't know this - you can pull
> with just read access.  One possible solution (re the
> working/distribution repo distinction) could be to prohibit pull from
> working repos (and prohibit rerecord etc in distribution repos) -
> although I think it is sometimes useful to pull between working repos
> as well.

Perhaps this whole situation would be a good reason to add the first
option flag to "initialize":

 --type Species the type of archive. The recognized options include:
   'working' and 'archive'. If 'archive' is selected, the following
   commands will be disabled, since they are a bad idea to use on
   archives (XXX list commands here). 'working' is the default and is
   how darcs has worked historically-- all commands are enabled.

There other ways to express the same idea. You could have:

 --archive
 --not-archive

As you might guess, all these would do is initialize the prefs file
with those command. They could be adjusted to suit later.

 	Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/