[darcs-users] Patches are immutable

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Oct 26 10:24:17 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 10:46:01PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > I think that rerecord doesn't break immutability of patches. AFAICS, it
> > records the patch again, with a different time, so a different
> > identity.
>
> After checking -- you're right.  It looks like rerecord is slightly less
> evil than I thought.

I do think that rerecord is a valuable tool--it just needs to *not* be used
when a patch has already been pulled by others, just as unrecord and unpull
must not be used on patches that have already left home.

On the other hand, compound patches would also be very nice to have.  The
trouble is that they'll be more than a bit tedious, since they're really
just a user-interface change, and it'll take time to make that change
consistent.
http://www.abridgegame.org