[darcs-users] renaming the rerecord command

Thomas Schwinge schwinge-darcs-users at nic-nac-project.de
Tue Oct 26 17:20:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 07:28:29AM -0300, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> rerecord is "dangerous" inasmuch as the naive use of it leads to stuck
> repositories which leads to naive users abandoning darcs entirely.
>
> The naive use (using my own experience as the standard of naivete) is
> to push a patch, rerecord it, push it again, and so forth several
> times.  Eventually the repository on the receiving end of this pushing
> becomes so tangled in near-identical patches that it takes
> approximately forever for darcs to do anything in this repository.

Thanks for that one - I was just trying to figure out why the pushed-to
repository had begun "acting strange" after I had done 'darcs rerecord'
and 'darcs push' several times...
But I must admit that I didn't have a look at rerecord's documentation
before using it and thus didn't know about
#v+
Rerecord will modify the date of the recorded patch. WARNING: You should ONLY rerecord patches which only exist in a single repository!
#v-

> Then, unless the naive user is also a stubborn user, darcs is shown the
> door and the user starts using arch or monotone or codeville or
> something.

I'll choose "stubborn", then.
:-)

Regards,