[darcs-users] Re: call for public bug tracking system

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Wed Oct 27 13:11:48 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-27, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 11:57:30PM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
>> The real question is not so much /which/ tracker to use, but do the
>> developers want to use one at all, and is anyone willing to host it?
>
> I wouldn't mind using a bug tracking system, and would be happy to host it
> on the abridgegame.org server.  RT looks like a bit of a pain, since as far
> as I can see, there's no mechanism for new users to create accounts for
> themselves (which probably makes sense in a corporate environment).

I think this point is clarified here:
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?PrivilegedUsers

It's possible to "auto-create an account on ticket creation". You can actually
configure it so the general public can do a lot of useful things without ever
having a formal account with a password (like bugzilla requires, if I recall).

It is common to set up account for the group of developers how have more
privileges in the system-- the ones who will own the tickets and fix
the bugs.

It's very flexible.

It's clear which action is important for you to support for new users:
Creating and tracking tickets, or signing themselves up as developers
with full access?  I would imagine you don't want joe-public to be able
to come along and start marking tickets as "resolved", etc.

	Mark

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   mark at summersault.com     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .