[darcs-users] call for public bug tracking system

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.net
Wed Oct 27 20:01:05 UTC 2004

It's my observation that, in the typical project, the bug tracking
system is where problem reports go to be ignored.  The majority of
developers and users, who might have useful information or ideas, never
see them.  The developers who do attend to the BTS often don't have the
time or inclination to do so promptly.

If _I_ were running a modestly-sized free software project, I wouldn't
use a BTS.  I think I'd try something like keeping a list of mailing
list posts in which issues were reported.  Put up a web page with the
subjects and a link to the message in the archives.  Just a simple way
for people to see the known issues.

If using a BTS, I would definitely want one that can be used by email
and does not require an account.  Provides an easy way to participate,
and allows mailing list discussion to go right into the bug log.
debbugs is nice, but people say it's hard to set up and administer.  I
haven't used any other BTS that I like.

The ultimate purpose of a BTS is to facilitate communication, and all
the databases and metadata in the world won't help communication if
people are cut out of the discussion.  Minimize the number of things
that could hinder communication.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 08:10:57AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> I took a look at gnats (with gnatsweb), which looks all right, although it
> doesn't have much polish to it.  Still, it supports a wide variety of
> interfaces, which seems good.

I don't think even the FSF uses gnats anymore.  It was abandoned for a
long time, and when I tried it (admittedly years ago) it was pretty
crufty.

Andrew