[darcs-users] Re: Darcs spins

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Oct 28 12:10:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 05:58:43PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> > In your polipo test case, there are definitely a lot of merge
> > conflicts that have been fixed already, but the new patch which is
> > causing the spinning needs to be merged with 80 patches, many of
> > which have merge conflicts, so you're going to get another conflict.
>
> I see.  Thanks for the explanation.  That *is* a serious problem -- I
> don't think that I've been doing anything out of the ordinary in
> polipo, just working on two branches in paralle.  (80 patches is
> really not a lot -- it's just a few of months of work by a single
> person.)

Yes, it's definitely a problem.  Basically with darcs you need to avoid
merge conflicts whenever possible.  It may be possible to moderate the
exponential cost, but I'm not overly optimistic.  This is one of the best
reasons to get 1.0 out, so I can work on this problem.  I have some vague
ideas that might help, but I'd guess it'll take at least a month of solid
work to develop a theoretical framework within which to explore those
ideas.

> Do you recommend I let the darcs pull run overnight, or do you think I
> should give up and merge the patch using primitive diff/patch techniques?

It couldn't hurt to let it run overnight, but I wouldn't be optimistic that
it would finish.  So I'd let it run first, and then if that doesn't finish
hack it up in the ugly way.
http://www.abridgegame.org