[darcs-users] Line endings opinion poll (with bonus opinion)

Martin Schaffner schaffner at gmx.li
Fri Oct 29 19:55:52 UTC 2004

On 29.10.2004, at 21:39, Dustin Sallings wrote:

> it might make more sense to have a separate conversion mechanism, and
> have the patch format only deal with lines (regardless of endings) and
> store with consistent line endings.

This idea assumes that files contain consistent lines to begin with -
which is not necessarily the case.
IMO it is problematic to have patches in the repo for which darcs does
not know how to apply them - with line conversion or without? What will
check/repair do? Will this depend on the prefs?

What speaks against always using '\n'? Are there editors on Windows
that do not understand the '\n'-ending (besides Notepad and edit.exe)?

> 	Then again, I only develop in UNIX, so my opinion may not be very
> important.

I use UNIX, Mac, and Windows, and I prefer to be able to understand
what happens if something goes wrong, instead of using automagic (and
sometimes wrong-guessing) complex mechanisms.

Martin