[darcs-users] Re: Line endings opinion poll (with bonus opinion)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Fri Oct 29 20:53:37 UTC 2004

On 2004-10-29, Martin Schaffner <schaffner at gmx.li> wrote:

> What speaks against always using '\n'? Are there editors on Windows
> that do not understand the '\n'-ending (besides Notepad and edit.exe)?

Here's my perspective as former Mac OS/Unix user (before Mac /became/
unix).

I used BBEdit as my editor. I had it set to "auto convert line endings"
when I opened them. I also had it set to save files with Unix line
breaks by default.

The result was that I could seamlessly open, view, edit and save Unix
files without a problem.

Now I work purely in Unixland, and don't have a strong opinion of #1 or
#2.

	Mark