[darcs-users] Cheap branches (was: Re: post-1.0: "isolated directories"?)

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun Oct 31 12:52:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 03:08:40AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 08:31:03AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
> > > In which case the idea would be *store* the tag inventories in little
> > > tiny bits; but *send* them as bigger chunks. Which I can do, because
> > > I'm translating my "scp" to a script invocation.
> > Yes, although figuring out what bigger chunks to send could be tricky.
>
> Hrm, I can't see any big problem with making it accept requests for
> _darcs/inventories/<tagid> for any tag in the branch, and just making the
> inventory stop at the first tag after, say, 10kB.

Sounds good.

BTW, I just had an idea for a name for your script setup.  Perhaps
darcs-archive? "Archive" is a word that doesn't yet mean anything in darcs,
and is suggestive of the same meanings (outside the world of computers) as
repository.  So we could have an archive storing multiple repositories.  It
also is vaguely nice because you don't "work" in archives, which is
consistent with the fact that your darcs-repo doesn't store either the
working directory or the "_darcs/current/".
http://www.abridgegame.org