[darcs-users] darcs push hangs

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Sep 1 10:56:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 01:44:27PM +0200, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, David Roundy wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 06:13:42PM +0200, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> > > I have also a problem with infinite waiting for finishing of 'darcs
> > > push'.  I'm using version 0.9.22. I'll send the repository to David
> > > privately.
> >
> > I don't see the problem here.  Since you sent just the _darcs
> > directories, I used darcs revert --all
>
> Is this different from 'darcs repair' ?

No, darcs repair repairs corruption in _darcs/current, which is a cache of
the contents of the currently recorded version.

> > to get the working directories, which meant that
> > darcs whatsnew showed no changes for both repositories.
>
> The problem was in pushing the new patches of 'src' repo to the 'dst'
> repo - this should work without the working directory, shouldn't it?

When you push changes into a repo, it updates the working directory as well
as the recorded contents.  Otherwise it would later appear that the user
had manually reverted those changes in the working directory.

> > Were there perhaps unrecorded changes in the target repository?
>
> In 'dst' repository some new (recorded) patches of the 'src' repository
> were missing.
>
> > If so, there could have been conflicts which might slow things down...
>
> The full story is: I started with two equal repositories (a full copy made
> by copying a tar archive) then I worked on 'src' and tried to push the
> patches to 'dst'. This didn't finish within 2 hours or more. Then I tried
> to skip some of the patches. Indeed some of them could be skipped and thus
> some patches could be pushed. But there remained some patches which
> couldn't be pushed in a reasonable time (about 6 hours). To be precise:
> The data transfer finished quite soon and then the darcs on the 'dst' side
> worked, and worked, and worked ... To check if this is due to different
> darcs versions or to 'ssh' I copied back the 'dst' repository and tried
> the 'push' locally - with the same result, as far as I can see.

Hmmm.  If I can reproduce it, I can probably figure out what went wrong,
but as it is, the push works fine for me.
http://www.abridgegame.org