[darcs-users] New user experiences

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Wed Sep 8 20:06:03 UTC 2004

David Roundy wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 07:20:32PM +0100, Jamie Webb wrote:
>
>>On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 06:27:44AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
>>
>>>Making whatsnew note extraneous files is a common request, but one that
>>>I haven't quite figured out the best interface for,
>>
>>Isn't using '?'s in the output of 'darcs whatsnew -l' sufficient?
>

> I suppose... although I don't like the idea that a '?' is synonymous with
> "add".

But last time I used darcs (a few weeks ago now), 'A' itself had two
meanings in darcs: It could mean either "this file has been scheduled to
be added", OR "darcs does not yet know anything about this file".

I definitely think that '?' should mean "darcs doesn't know whether you
care about this file or not", just like cvs. Leave 'A' to mean that the
add is already pending.

 > I've instead added a little divider between the auto-added files
> and the rest of the changes.

I have not yet looked at this new approach, but based on my mental image
of it, it doesn't sound as good as using '?' for files that are neither
managed nor boring. Maybe I'm missing something.

Kevin