[darcs-users] default boring list

Kevin Smith yarcs at qualitycode.com
Thu Sep 9 20:33:08 UTC 2004

Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> I suggest that darcs default to an empty boring list, instead of the
> current ad-hoc list.  Any defaults, no matter how sensible they may seem
> now (and I'm not sure how sensible they are now!) are bound to a) trip a
> few people and b) become a historical amusement with time (unless you
> update them actively, which is also problematic).  Much simpler just to
> let people maintain their own boring lists.

To my surprise, I think I agree. However, it might be friendly for darcs
to refuse to run unless the user has specifically defined a boring list.
Otherwise, the first operation (darcs add -r *) will be a painful first
experience.

> For reference, here is the current list:
(snip)
>     (^|/),,
>     \.class
>     \.prof

Ummmm...if we do keep the default list, shouldn't all those end with $?
Otherwise, it will ignore things like my.classes.doc and test.profile.

Kevin