[darcs-users] default boring list

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Sep 11 12:45:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 04:33:08PM -0400, Kevin Smith wrote:
> Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> >I suggest that darcs default to an empty boring list, instead of the
> >current ad-hoc list.  Any defaults, no matter how sensible they may seem
> >now (and I'm not sure how sensible they are now!) are bound to a) trip a
> >few people and b) become a historical amusement with time (unless you
> >update them actively, which is also problematic).  Much simpler just to
> >let people maintain their own boring lists.
>
> To my surprise, I think I agree. However, it might be friendly for darcs
> to refuse to run unless the user has specifically defined a boring list.
> Otherwise, the first operation (darcs add -r *) will be a painful first
> experience.

I agree that we definitely want to be cautious if we don't include a
default boring list.  However, refusing to run would be a bit much.
Probably refusing to run recursively would be sufficient.

But it seems to me that the best thing is to have a decent boring list by
default.  It doesn't keep people from maintaining their own borning lists,
and saves trouble for most people (or at least for me...).  Of course, I
never use recursive commands (perhaps because they didn't exist when I
started using darcs...), so for me the main use of the boring list is just
to make darcs a bit smarter about tab completion.

> >For reference, here is the current list:
> (snip)
> >    (^|/),,
> >    \.class
> >    \.prof
>
> Ummmm...if we do keep the default list, shouldn't all those end with $?
> Otherwise, it will ignore things like my.classes.doc and test.profile.

Fixed.
http://www.abridgegame.org