[darcs-users] default boring list

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sun Sep 12 10:26:40 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 12:10:53PM +0200, Ketil Malde wrote:
> "Zooko O'Whielacronx" <zooko at zooko.com> writes:
>
> > I had no problem.  Fortunately I knew to edit _darcs/prefs/boring.  If
> > I hadn't known where the configuration was that was forcing darcs to
> > skip the file I was trying to add I would have been irritated.
> > Especially since I was adding one specific file, like this:
>
> Okay, I'm hardly well aquainted with the darcs source, but this seems
> like a very trivial thing to fix:
>
>   $ darcs whats Add.lhs
>   What's new in "Add.lhs":
>
>   {
>   hunk ./Add.lhs 99
>   -    nboring <- if Boring `elem` opts
>   +    nboring <- if Boring `elem` opts || not (Recursive `elem` opts)
>   }
>
>   $ darcs add .bashrc
>   Skipping boring file .bashrc
>   $ src/darcs/darcs add .bashrc
>   $ darcs whats --sum
>   A ./.bashrc
>
> Perhaps I'm missing some issues?  (E.g. wildcard expansion - darcs add
> .* is also going to ignore boring (obviously, globbing is done by the
> shell, and darcs can't tell the difference between explicitly listed
> files and wildcard expanded ones))

That's the catch--wildcard expansion.  My first thought was that your fix
with an additional restriction that only one file is being added, but that
could be extra confusing, since it isn't consistent, and users could get
used to running darcs add * and having it not add the boring files, until
one day they have only one boring file in a directory, and suddenly it gets
added...
http://www.abridgegame.org