[darcs-users] default boring list

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Sun Sep 12 10:43:53 UTC 2004

David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> writes:

> That's the catch--wildcard expansion.  My first thought was that your fix
> with an additional restriction that only one file is being added, but that
> could be extra confusing, since it isn't consistent,

Yes, I considered that, but basically came to the same conclusion.

> and users could get used to running darcs add * and having it not
> add the boring files, until one day they have only one boring file
> in a directory, and suddenly it gets added...

I don't use boring much, so perhaps I'm not representative.  I find it
inconvenient that I can't explicitly specify a boring file --
dotfiles, for instance.  For me, the patch is an improvement.

One could argue that 'add *' is a bad habit, and that supporting bad
habits is a bad idea.  If that's what you really mean, perhaps 'add -r
.' is a better way to do (almost) the same thing?

-kzm