[darcs-users] feature request: diffs from darcs.cgi

Will will at glozer.net
Fri Sep 17 21:08:54 UTC 2004

"Zooko O'Whielacronx" <zooko at zooko.com> writes:

> Over the last couple of months I have downloaded a dozen different
> open  source projects from the Net and made patches to them, storing
> the  patches in my local darcs repositories.  I would like to make
> those  patches available to the original maintainers of those open
> source  projects, and in the process to advertise darcs as a nice tool
> that  they might consider using.

Sounds like a nice idea!

> What I would like to do is to point them at a darcs.cgi URL, like this:
>
> http://zooko.com/cgi-bin/darcs.cgi/crawl-zookopatches/source/
> religion.cc?c=patches
>
> And for the URL that I give to immediately provide the open source
> hacker with two things: (a) a list of the names and long-descriptions
> of all of my patches (the URL above shows only the patches that
> effected one specific file),

You can remove "religion.cc" from the URL to get a list of all the
patches applied to files in that directory.

It would be nice to display the long description, but I think it would
clutter that patch list page a bit much.

> (b) a hyperlink or button to click to get a diff containing my
> patch, suitable for that developer to pipe to "patch".

I like this idea.  How about if I added the long description and a "diff"
button to the patch summary page (i.e. the one you get when you use the
"summary" link next to a patch)?  That button could return the output
of `darcs diff -u --match "hash <patch hash>"`.

Regards,
Will

--
http://glozer.net